Header Attribution

The header photo is a wall in the Depot Art District in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Pardon me, is this your elephant?


OK.
Let me just cut to the chase here.
Today is my 63rd birthday!
Elephants do not have anything,
specifically,
to do with my birthday;
but it seemed somehow fitting to me
to post this bronze sculpture
of a baby elephant
by which I was taken by surprise
in Mesa, Arizona, a couple of years ago,
on my birthday.
When I was 15 years old,
a high school friend and I
decided we should begin collecting something.
I honestly do not remember what my friend decided to collect.
I decided to collect elephants.
Over the next thirty years or so,
I acquired several hundred.
I do not even know how many.
But then I determined
to unburden myself
of the majority of them;
so, by means of yard sales, eBay,
giving them away, and simply tossing some of them,
I got the collection down
to about a dozen of my favorites.
Then, almost four years ago,
the house we lived in
burned to the ground,
and we lost everything.
Now I have a couple of elephants again...


This little guy is glass.
He is a blotter - back in the days of inkwells
one often had to 'blot' the ink to help it dry faster.
He is about four inches long.
One would attach a piece of blotting paper,
then gently roll the elephant back and forth over the wet ink.


This is wood and metal sculpture that stands about 10" high.
My sister-in-law gave it to me.


So,
there you have it!
Me and my elephants.

No comments:

Post a Comment