Header Attribution

The header photo is a wall in the Depot Art District in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Aladdin's Lamp

This is the lamp above the entrance to Aladdin's Cafe in Jaffa, Israel.
The stonework, the metalwork, and the color of the metalwork (which is paint but suggests verdigris) caught my eye and my imagination.  The mezuzah on the door frame indicates this is a Jewish-owned establishment.  I know, not terribly surprising in Israel, but the choice of an Arabian legend as its namesake was interesting.

Taken in February 2010.
The workhorse Canon PowerShot A590.

5 comments:

  1. Neat metalwork here for sure. Travel much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good eye! And yes, it is a bit disconcerting, unless the mezuzah was left there by the previous owner? I like the colors also, and the intricate metal work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool metalwork indigenous to that area I presume. Hand wrought architectural elements are getting harder to find. Someone put a lot of work into that lantern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'd love to know the actual history of this lamp. It clearly did take a lot of work.

    Jacob, I guess this may have been a home that was made into a cafe, so the mezuzah was retained as an original detail...? but my impression was the cafe had been there a while; the Hebrew letters in the lamp actually spell "Aladdin"

    Birdman, travel? well this year has been something of a banner year for some reason. In fact, I'm posting this from a hotel in Anaheim. Y'all may see some interesting pics from this trip eventually. For example, I took a few of the "Crystal Cathedral" today. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete