Header Attribution

The header photo is a wall in the Depot Art District in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Street Art #5: Colorado Springs


This installation of my "Street Art" series is a day late for the CPD Theme Day, but this blog is not a CPD blog so I reckon no harm, no foul, eh?
I did enjoy seeing the many graffitti photos from all over the world yesterday.  It was also interesting to read some of the commentary about whether these "works" should be considered art or vandalism.
In the case of these Colorado Springs selections, the "artists" installed their works on a previously abandoned warehouse that has been incorporated into what Colorado Springs has now dubbed "The Depot Art District" that lies on a small parcel between a concrete arroyo (aqueduct) that parallels the Interstate freeway and the railroad tracks.  Directly across the railroad tracks is the 19th century Train Station aka "Depot," which is now a well-loved restaurant and shops (of course!).




The photo I use in this blog's header was also taken in this district, in fact as I recall I was standing in the same spot.  I just turned to the right to take this picture of the Depot.



Well, sorry for the (up til now) uncharacteristic verbosity.  I got started and couldn't stop.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!




5 comments:

  1. Don't apologize for your commentary. Some folks like to let their pictures do the talking, and that is fine. Others -- and I am in this camp -- often add a little commentary to add context, point out something that might be missed, or just to have some typing practice!!! It is your blog. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really really like these..there's just true artistry going on. I suppose its vandalism if the painting is done on private property but if it's elegant and artful I can even secretly be ok with that (as long as I'm not the owner!) ..sort of the way I secretly admire a truly ingenious bank robber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm new here. I have to say I love the header on your blog. There are some talented people around, I almost wish I was one of them. However, as long as I have my camera and can take a picture or two I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jack. You're right, of course. Apologizing unnecessarily is a lifelong habit several friends and family members are working to eradicate. So, yes! It is my blog, and I will go for it.

    LD, right... kinda hard to ignore the artistry in s-o-m-e street art.

    Welcome, Valerie. The digital camera is wildly liberating!! Back in the "film" days, one had to be a little more sure that what is being shot is "worth" shooting. Glad to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hevoset grafiitti on hyvin kaunis. Se on taideteos. Kaikki grafiitit ei ole noin hyvä. on vain väriloistoa, pitää olla oikea paikka näille, ei hyvä missä' tahansa.

    ReplyDelete